Saturday morning warehouse fire causes major damage
An early Saturday morning fire at the Waste Connection transfer station in Gering caused an estimated $120,000 damage. Gering Fire Captain Jeff Vance says the fire, which was confined mostly to the inside of the building at 7th Street and Country Club Road, caused heavy damage to the west side of the warehouse and smoke damage to the offices. A loader and track hoe inside were also destroyed.
Vance says it appears a hot load of garbage received Friday afternoon had smoldered and then caught fire, forcing response at 4 a.m. from not only ten members of the Gering Fire Department, but five from Scottsbluff and seven from Scottsbluff Rural.
Scottsbluff used its new tower and ladder truck to attack the fire from the top of the structure. Gering had three trucks at the fire and Scottsbluff Rural had two. Gering firefighters were returning to the station shortly before 9 a.m. Scottsbluff and Scottsbluff Rural were dismissed an hour earlier.
Gering also has ten volunteers helping fight the fires in northwest Nebraska.
© 2013 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information