Electrical short destroys rural Gering trailer, Donations being sought

An electrical short in an overloaded extension cord caused a fire Saturday morning that destroyed a trailer in rural Gering. Gering firefighter Kenny Hauck says the family who resided in the trailer was not home at the time, but assistance is already being provided by the Firefighters Ministry.

Hauck says the trailer was located about four miles southeast of Gering at 230842 County Road R.

Firefighters were on the scene for two and a half hours after arriving around 8:15 a.m. The fire spread quickly due to high winds.

The trailer was the home for a single mother, her sixteen year old son and 12 year old daughter. Women's clothing, size 1 to 3 in juniors and small-sized shirts are needed. In men's clothing, pants, size 30x32 and shirt size large are also needed. Donations of household items, like silverware and small appliances would also be helpful.

Donations can be made at the Firefighter Ministry drop-off point at First Baptist Church, located on Avenue I, or during weekday business hours at Schank Roofing, 1113 East Overland. Donations are also reportedly being taken at the Union Bar in Gering,.

© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information