Scottsbluff airport to expand security area

The Scotts Bluff County Airport Authority today gave their approval to final design plans for an addition on the northeast end of the terminal to provide restrooms and seating for another 185 people in the security area. The extra space will be provided by enclosing the outdoor eating area and moving it to the east side of the restaurant.

Airport manager Darwin Skelton says the $1.5 million project will enhance the facility's ability to be a diversionary airport for Denver International Airport. He says when a plane is diverted from Denver International because it can't land there due to bad weather, for example, the airport gets fuel flow fees, landing fees and additional fees the airport earns from that diversion.

Skelton says the addition will also boost the airport's efforts to get a second commercial airline. Allegiant Airlines has indicated the extra security space was essential before they will consider providing flights to the airport to Las Vegas or other destinations.

Construction on the project is scheduled to begin early this summer and conclude in early 2014. 90% of the project will be funded by federal airport improvement funds, with the airport covering the other 10%.

© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information