Nebraska to get emergency haying/grazing on CRP

As Nebraska continues to suffer from drought, it clear some relief is on it's way. The panhandle and the western two-thirds of the state remains in severe levels of drought, the state is anticipating the US Department of Agriculture will be releasing Conservation Reserve Program acres for emergency haying and grazing. In a interview with KNEB/Rural Radio Network, Garden/Deuel County Farm Service Agency Director Ivan Johnson expects an announcement any day.

Nebraska counties have not been given approval yet, but counties with a D2 or greater drought designation there is automatic approval into this program. At the very earliest the program will take effect July 16th.

Haying and grazing rights can be leased to a livestock producer when the CRP participant does not own livestock. Producers are required to visit their local FSA office to fill out the needed paperwork before grazing or haying of CRP land. Johnson says producers will need to follow emergency hay and grazing practices.

Most of the grass practices in the panhandle will be eligible for grazing. Currently CP 25 acres are not eligible, but Johnson is hopeful those that grass mix will be allowed for grazing. For more information on Emergency haying and grazing on CRP acres, contact your local FSA office.

© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information