Electrical issue caused rural fire

Firefighters work to clean-up after extinguishing a fire east of Scottsbluff Friday afternoon.

An electrical problem in a light on the back porch was the cause of a fire that destroyed a rural home east of Scottsbluff Friday afternoon. Deputy State Fire Marshall Mike Turner determined the cause after inspecting the scene Friday.

The home is owned by Dave and Chuck Haun and was the residence of an employee who was out of town at the time of the fire. Minatare Fire Chief Tom Case says a woman who was staying at the home was sleeping and heard the alarm, and tried to keep the fire from spreading before getting out without injury.

Case says the fire melted appliances and caused a lot of heat and smoke damage. Firefighters had to cut into the roof to completely extinguish the fire, which produced a lot of smoke from the outside vents and roof.

Scottsbluff Rural and Gering firefighters assisted Minatare in fighting the fire.

© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information