Couple's wedding plans on hold after structure fire

A rural Gering couple will need to put their wedding plans on hold after the home they were renting was destroyed by fire Monday afternoon. MIke Ennis and Brandi Wells got their pets out but likely lost most of their belongings in the fire at the home six miles southeast of Gering on County Road T.

Ennis said he was home by himself shortly before 1 p.m. when he noticed smoke outside the east side of the home. Ennis said he called 911, got himself and the pets out, and tried to put the fire out with their garden hose, although he knew it was a hopeless cause.

Minatare, Gering and Scottsbluff Rural firefighters responded but the hot fire caved in the roof on the back side of the home, and firefighters were still extinguishing smoldering hot spots at mid-afternoon.

The owner Jim Sandberg estimates the loss at over $100,000. Sandberg says he or the couple's families will help them with housing, but Firefighter Ministries is taking donations for the Ministry at any Platte Valley Bank location to help this couple and other families with housing, food and and other necessary items. Sandberg has insurance for the home but the couple was between polices on their rental insurance.

Deputy State Fire Marshall Mike Turner was on his way to the scene to investigate the fire at mid-afternoon.

© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information