House fire causes extensive damage

An improper hearth on a wood-burning stove is blamed for an early morning house fire in Scottsbluff.

The Scottsbluff Fire Department said that crews were called to the fire at 1114 Schmid Drive just before 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

Upon arrival, crews found smoke coming from the single-story residence. The homeowner, Jonathan Ellwanger, said that all occupants had evacuated the home, but two dogs were inside.

Firefighters made entry into the residence and quickly extinguished the blaze. The two dogs succumbed to smoke prior to the arrival of fire crews.

The residence sustained approximately $40,000 in damage. Crews remained on scene until about 2:30 a.m. extinguishing hot spots.

Ellwanger is staying with family following the fire.

© 2014 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information