Mistrial declared in Bluffs child sexual assault case
Scotts Bluff County Attorney Doug Warner says he will re-try a sexual assault case that resulted in a mistrial Wednesday afternoon. After five hours of deliberation a District Court jury could not come to a verdict in the case against 51 year old Timothy Fuentes, and Judge Randy Lippstreu declared the mistrial.
The Scottsbluff man was charged with third degree sexual assault of a child. Authorities claimed the defendant inappropriately touched a 9 year old girl near her residence August 21st of last year. Warner told KNEB News the prosecution's case heavily relied on the victim's testimony.
Court documents indicated after being named as a possible suspect, Fuentes was identified in a photo lineup by the victim. He was arrested after being interviewed by police investigators.
Fuentes is a registered sex offender with at least 3 previous convictions of sex crimes against children.
The case is scheduled for trial again in the March jury term.
© 2013 Rural Radio Network. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information